The Indiana University ID card serves as the Library Card for IU students and staff. Crimson Cards are available at the Crimson Card Office in Hayes Hall (HY 109), next to the Information Commons.
For non-IU patrons, Library Cards may be obtained at the Circulation Desk. Photo ID and address verification are required. Your card will be mailed to you prior to check-out privileges being instated.
Your IU East-issued library card can be used at any IU Library for check-out privileges, following the guidelines of the specific library. Please note that you are responsible for all material circulated using your library card. If your card is lost or stolen, you should notify the Circulation Desk at 765-973-8311 immediately so that borrowing privileges for that card can be blocked.
- Undergrads can borrow up to 15 books for 30 to 45 days.
- Graduate students can borrow up to 20 books for up to 120 days.
- Faculty and staff can borrow an unlimited number of books for up to 120 days.
- Community members can borrow up to 5 books for up to 30 days.
- Juvenile: All patrons can borrow up to 15 materials for up to 14 days.
- Audio books: All patrons can borrow up to 3 audio books for up to 14 days.
- Video, CD, DVD: All patrons can borrow up to 3 videos, CDs, or DVDs for up to 14 days.
- Headphones: All patrons can borrow 1 set of headphones for up to 2 hours (for use in Hayes Hall only.
- Computer passes: Community members can get a computer pass for up to 2 hours.
There are no automatic renewals. Items that are on hold or have been recalled may not be renewed.
You may renew books by:
- Bringing them to the Circulation Desk
- Call 765-973-8311
- Renew items online via One.IU (IU East students and staff only)
- Most items may also be renewed from “My Account” in IUCAT
Items borrowed from the IU East Library may be returned to any IU Library or to the library’s Circulation Desk. There are also three book returns on the IU East campus:
- the patio on the north side of the Whitewater Hall Lobby,
- on the circle drive in front of Springwood Hall, and
- just left of the Library’s main entrance in the Hayes Hall Lobby.
A fine of $0.25 per day will be charged for each book that is returned past the due date. Regular three- and seven-day check-out items have a $1 per day late fine. Reserve materials have a $1.20 per hour late fine.
The due date can be found on the white charge slip/receipt given to you at the time you check out materials.
If you need an item that is currently checked out, you can place a “Hold” on that item at the Circulation Desk. When the item is returned, you will receive an email and we will hold the item at the Circulation Desk for ten (10) days. If it is not picked up within that time period, it will be re-shelved.
Items occasionally are recalled. If an item you have is recalled, you will have ten days to return it without being fined. If the item is not returned within that time period, a $25 late fine will be assessed and you will be barred from checking out additional items.
If you have lost or are returning damaged items, you will be expected to pay for the cost of replacement:
- $50 minimum per book
- $50-$200 for A-V items
- actual cost for electronic equipment
Library borrowing privileges can be suspended for non-return or damage of library materials. Borrowing privileges will not be reinstated until the matter is resolved. In cases of gross negligence, library patrons may be permanently barred from checking out library items.
Patrons who have been fined and believe that there are extenuating circumstances, or that they have been fined in error, may appeal to have the fines reduced or eliminated. All appeals should be directed in writing to Frances Yates, Library Director, IU East Library, Hayes Hall 151, 2325 Chester Blvd, Richmond IN 47374.