Information for Spring 2021
Authorize an Incomplete Grade
Complete the Incomplete Grade Authorization form, collect needed attachments and distribute to necessary parties as indicated in the form instructions.
Student Engagement Roster (SER)
In support of campus efforts to increase student retention and 4-year graduation, all faculty teaching undergraduate students are asked to provide feedback early and often on student attendance/performance in their class.
Why use SER?
- Feedback from faculty allows for quick and intentional intervention with those students who may need assistance.
- Based on faculty feedback on the Student Engagement Roster (SER), reports will be readily available to advisors and other school officials to take action.
- The student engagement roster is also the mechanism for reporting attendance concerns to the Office of Financial Aid, as well as enrollment information to the Office of the Registrar.
- All students will receive an email notification if they are reported in SER and will be directed to access the report in One.IU.
- The Office of Student Success and academic advisors contact students who have multiple flags or other at-risk indicators to discuss action items that were recommended in the Student Performance Roster.
- Online instructors – Please determine attendance for the first reporting round by tracking student Canvas login, participation in discussion forums, or submission of early assignments. Also, because SER is used throughout the IU system and we have many students from other campuses enrolled in our online classes, it is possible that you may receive communication from staff members from other campuses. Please provide any follow up information they may be seeking.
Access the Student Performance Roster (SER) directly from your Canvas site or search Student Engagement Roster (Faculty) in One.IU.edu.
SER, Syllabi, and Canvas
Faculty are encouraged to provide an explanation on the class syllabus and/or via a Canvas announcement. A sample notice is provided here:
"This semester I will be using IU’s FLAGS System to provide real-time feedback on your performance in this course. Periodically throughout the semester I will be entering data on factors such as your class attendance, participation, and success with coursework, among other things. This information will provide feedback on how you are faring in the course and offer suggestions on how you might be able to improve your performance. You will be able to access this information in One.IU https://one.iu.edu/task/iu/flags-early-alerts."
For Spring 2021
Spring 2021 Faculty,
Thank you for your diligent reporting in the Student Engagement Roster last semester. I know many of you felt disheartened as you watched some students slowly disengage from class, but your reporting was truly essential in getting students the help they needed. At times, this meant helping them to withdraw effectively. The SER will continue to be a valuable tool as we begin this semester entirely online. Please use the system early and often so we can be as proactive as possible. That said, I have outlined the reporting periods below. You will note that the roster is available on the first day and we have slightly abbreviated the first round in order to contact students before the end of the 75% refund period.
Mandatory Reporting Round #1 (Roster Verification)
January 19th-January 29th
The drop for non-payment policy uses “Never Attended” an indicator to determine if a student will be removed from class. Please assess if a student has never attended by considering physical class attendance or Canvas login/course participation for online classes. This policy ensures that students who have never attended, have not made any payments, and have no financial aid are removed from their courses and charges are eliminated.
January 30th-March 8th
Please use the Student Engagement Roster during this time to report academic performance concerns such as missing assignments and poor performance on homework, quizzes, or exams. Early and frequent reporting is encouraged, as well as positive feedback. Outreach to students is conducted weekly.
Mandatory Reporting Round #2 (Federal Financial Aid verification, also serves as initial roster verification for 2nd eight-week classes)
As a reminder, students receive an email from you that directs them to your feedback. The Office of Student Success and academic advisors from each school will review feedback regularly and contact students as needed. You may see if the student, an advisor, or success coach has reviewed your feedback by clicking on the individual student’s name in the SER and looking at the lower right portion of the screen under “History.”
If you are new to campus or need a refresher, please visit the Registrar’s webpage for instructions, or -email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a one-on-one training. Thank you for your work on this. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Carrie Reisner, Ed.D.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Engagement
Submitting Final Grades
Final grades and grade changes are submitted by faculty through an SIS Faculty Center app in One.IU:
- Verify campus, term, and roster type. Roster type should be "Final Grade."
- Enter all grades into the Grade Input fields or click Valid Grades to display a list of valid grade values and select the appropriate grade.
- If you enter a grade of FN, the column to enter the Last Attendance Date will not appear until the roster is saved. A date is still required if an FN grade is entered, but the place to enter the date will not show up until the instructor deliberately refreshes the roster. The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the Term begin and end dates. This should be the last date that you can document that the student attended class (last class attendance, last quiz or exam taken, last log on to Canvas, etc.)
- If the student never attended the class, enter a grade of FNN. It is not necessary to enter a Last Date of Attendance for FNN grades.
- Students who dropped during the 100% refund period (first week of class) will not appear on the final grade roster.
- There will be a placeholder grade of ZZ for students who are taking Indiana University classes through another university. You will submit their grades on that university's grade roster.
- Click Save often, throughout the grading process, in order not to be timed out of SIS!
- When finished, click Save and verify that all grades have been entered and are correct.
- Once you are satisfied that all the grades are correct, click Approve and Submit to Registrar.
Once grades have been posted or approved, grade changes are made via:
IU East Faculty, if you have questions regarding how to submit your grades, or how to submit a grade change, feel free to contact the Office of the Registrar at (765)973-8270 or email@example.com.
Deadlines for faculty to submit final grades
Spring Term 2021
8W1 Classes (01/19 - 03/08)
- 03/08: Classes end & final exam day
- 03/10: Final grades due
8W2 Classes (03/09 - 04/25)
- 04/25: Classes end & final exam day
- 05/05: Final grades are due
16W full-term classes (01/19 - 04/25)
- 04/25: Classes end
- 04/26 - 05/02: Final exams
- 05/05: Final grades due
Summer Term 2021
6W1 Classes (05/17 - 06/28)
- 06/28: Classes end & final exam day
- 06/30: Final grades are due
6W2 Classes (07/06 - 08/16)
- 08/16: Classes end & final exam day
- 08/18: Final grades due
12W full-term classes (05/17 - 08/16)
- 08/16: Classes end & final exam day
- 08/18: Final grades due
Fall Term 2021
8W1 Classes (08/23 - 10/11)
- 10/11: Classes end & final exam day
- 10/13: Final grades due
8W2 Classes (10/12 - 12/05)
- 12/05: Classes end & final exam day
- 12/15: Final grades due
16W full-term classes (08/23 - 12/05)
- 12/05: Classes end
- 12/06 - 12/12: Final exams
- 12/15: Final grades due
NOTE: If you teach a class which has a begin-end different from those listed above, such as an Online Course Connect (IUOCC) class, or a non-standard class, the deadline for submitting your grades is 48 hours after the final examination for that class.
Textbook Ordering and IU eTexts
Textbook Orders (Faculty) - Site for faculty to order textbooks through the IU Bookstore
IU East faculty, who wish to use IU eTexts, should contact their school's Textbook Coordinator.
- A Faculty and Staff Introduction: This self-enrolled site includes an overview of IU eTexts, ordering instructions, helpful tips, and guidance for faculty who choose to teach via IU eTexts.
- IU eTexts Catalog - Faculty and staff may search for titles offered via IU eTexts.
- School of Business & Economics: Karla Stevenson
- School of Education: Jessica Rice
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences: Cynthia Wicker
- School of Natural Sciences & Mathematics: Diana Fahl
- School of Nursing & Health Sciences: Jane Muller
- School of Social Work: Linda Melody Cottongim